05 July, 2010

Fifty Songs

I have only participated in one other Blog This challenge, but I have been a member since pretty much the beginning and I really appreciate the support that comes from the community there and the opportunity to discover new writers, ideas and inspiration.

This week is their fiftieth challenge, and it is simply to list fifty things.  I thought I would never be able to think of fifty things of any particular theme.  Then I remembered a question that several people have asked me recently: "Do you have a song for everything?"

The answer is yes - usually several.  For all my political rantings, my first passion will always be music.  I’ve often said that good music makes me want to play, and great music makes me want to give up.  Here are fifty songs that, in the best possible way, make me want to give up.  They are listed off the top of my head in roughly the order in which  thought of them.  The list is by no means complete.  I was only allowed fifty.  Be warned that you may need to plan your day around some of them.
World Party may figure....

I Hear They Smoke the Barbecue – Pere Ubu
It’s All Mine – World Party
The Bravery of Being Out of Range – Roger Waters
Keep the Dream Alive – Oasis
Obscurity Knocks – Trashcan Sinatras
Near Wild Heaven – REM
The Stolen Child – The Waterboys
#9 Dream – John Lennon
The Big Sky – Kate Bush
Marlene on the Wall – Suzanne Vega
Throwing it Away – My Friend the Chocolate Cake
Caught in My Shadow – The Wonderstuff
I Am the Walrus – The Beatles
Getting Away With It – Electronic
If I Needed Someone – The Beatles
Slow Emotion Replay – the The
There Goes God – Crowded House
Born of FrustrationJames
Glastonbury Song – The Waterboys
Sowing the Seeds of Love – Tears for Fears
Absolute Beginners – David Bowie
Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
Thank You (for loving me at my worst) – The Whitlams
Always – World Party
Streets of Your Town – The Go-Betweens
Book Song – Frente
Be Firm – Max Sharam
Atomic Electric – Rebecca’s Empire
She Wears a Mask – Machine Translations
Stop Me if You Think You’ve Heard This One Before – The Smiths
Penny Lane – The Beatles
Strawberry Fields Forever – The Beatles
You Never Give Me Your Money – The Beatles
Ain’t Gonna Come til I’m Ready – World Party
See the Light – World Party
Sheba – Mike Oldfield
Monsters – Something For Kate
Way Down Now – World Party
You Get What You Give – New Radicals
C’mon People – Paul McCartney
When We Was Fab – George Harrison
Tomorrow – Morrissey
Brand New Day – Sting
Chemistry – Semisonic
Catch the Sun – Doves
Last Days on Earth – Tears for Fears
London Town – Wings
Make the World Safe – The Whitlams
A Pagan Place – The Waterboys
Live Forever – Oasis

I am already kicking myself for some that I left out.  Maybe when the 100th challenge comes around, there can be more.  There are few things more joyful than sharing great music with friends.

9 comments:

  1. Maybe it would have been better to list the Top 50 Songs That Didn't Qualify as the Top 50 Songs List

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these aren't necessarily even the Top 50 - just the first 50 I could think of. The list would be different on another day, and still incomplete.

    I'd be rubbish on Desert Island Discs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice list you have like 60% of my itunes there lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What excellent taste you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow there is some great stuff on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were Rob from High Fidelity, I would probably say, "I know." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You win just because you included MFTCC....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'm sorry I couldn't find a link to stream that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely gonna be bookmarking this post so I can back and click through all the links of songs I don't know. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete