05 August, 2012

Sportsmanship 2: An open letter to Drew Ginn

“It is disappointing we feel like we have let Australia and the rowing fraternity and our families down”
 - Drew Ginn tears up over Aussie rowing loss at London Olympics
Drew,
You’re only letting people down when you talk like that.  Not all Australians live vicariously through sportsmen and those who do, really shouldn’t.  We’re not going to be waiting for you at the airport with pitchforks.  I don’t know your families and wouldn’t ever presume to speak for them, but if any of them think any less of you for this, then… just… wow!

I know next to nothing about any kind of sport so I can only go by what I heard on Channel 9’s coverage.  As far as I can work out from them, you were the only one in the boat while there were four in the British boat.  That’s a lot of pressure.  I would imagine it’s pressure you really don’t need.  I would imagine the hope and support of a nation could become a distraction.  Either way, if anyone thinks you, or any other competitor, did any less than your best, then they can get stuffed.  Furthermore, if you regard coming second in your fourth Olympics as a terrible failure, that’s what lets us down – not the silver medal.  

As one of my favourite correspondents wrote, you didn’t LOSE gold, you WON silver.  And you did it at your fourth Olympics.  Who else can say that?  So cheer the fuck up and to hell with anyone who feels let down by the result. 
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment